Water Restoration FAQs

Recovering from water damage involves a series of steps: First, ensure safety by turning off electricity and gas supplies. Next, identify the water source and stop the flow if possible. Remove excess water, dry out the area with dehumidifiers and fans, and then clean and disinfect. Salvageable items should be dried and restored, while damaged materials may need to be discarded. Finally, repair and rebuild any structural damage. It’s advisable to consult professionals who can assess and carry out the recovery process effectively.

Water damage can often be fixed in-house depending on its severity. Minor damages like a leaky faucet can be addressed by homeowners with quick repairs and drying. However, significant damages such as flooding or burst pipes require professional restoration services to properly dry out the property, prevent mold growth, and restore the structural integrity.

The time to get rid of water damage varies based on the extent and type of damage. Minor issues might be resolved within a few days, while extensive damage can take weeks. The drying process typically takes 12-72 hours, but the complete restoration process, including repairs, could take several weeks.

Clearing water damage involves removing standing water, drying the affected areas, cleaning, and sanitizing all surfaces, and then repairing or replacing damaged structures or materials. It’s important to thoroughly dry the impacted areas to prevent mold and mildew growth.

Walls can take anywhere from 24 hours to several weeks to dry out after a leak, depending on the materials, the extent of saturation, and environmental conditions. Using dehumidifiers and fans can expedite the process. Moisture meters can help assess when the walls are fully dry.

After water damage, do not ignore the damage or delay action, as this can lead to more severe problems like structural issues and mold growth. Avoid using electrical appliances in affected areas, and do not attempt to remove water with a regular vacuum cleaner. Don’t enter rooms with standing water if the electricity is on.

Permanent water damage is usually evident when materials are structurally compromised and cannot return to their original state even after drying. This includes warped floors, stained drywall, and swollen wood that does not shrink back. A professional assessment can determine the extent of the damage.

Structural damage can occur rapidly with intense water exposure, such as from flooding, within minutes to hours. In cases of slow leaks, it might take weeks or months before significant structural damage becomes evident.

Mold Remediation FAQs

Small areas of mold, less than about 10 square feet, can often be remediated by yourself using proper safety gear and cleaning solutions like diluted bleach. However, for larger infestations, or if the mold is in HVAC systems, it’s best to hire professional mold remediation services.

To kill mold permanently, you must remove the source of moisture and clean the affected areas with a solution that can kill mold spores, such as commercial moldicides, bleach diluted in water, or vinegar. Keep in mind that physical removal of moldy materials may also be necessary.

Mold removal focuses on the physical removal of mold, whereas mold remediation encompasses identifying the cause of the mold, controlling the contamination, removing the mold, and taking steps to prevent it from returning, including addressing moisture issues.

It is generally safe to live in a house after professional mold remediation, as the process should remove the mold and address the source of moisture that led to the mold growth. Post-remediation testing can confirm that the mold levels are back to normal.

Mold can come back after remediation if the underlying issues of moisture and humidity are not resolved. Continuous monitoring and maintenance are necessary to prevent recurrence.

The warning signs of mold toxicity can include:

  1. Respiratory issues such as wheezing or difficulty breathing.
  2. Chronic coughing or sneezing.
  3. Irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, or skin.
  4. Persistent headaches.
  5. Unexplained fatigue or lethargy.
  6. Dizziness or disorientation.
  7. Memory problems or difficulty concentrating.
  8. Unusual skin rashes.
  9. Sensitivity to odors.
  10. Persistent allergic reactions.


If you experience these symptoms, consult a healthcare provider.

Professionals clean mold by first assessing the extent of the infestation. They contain the area to prevent spore spread, use HEPA vacuums and air scrubbers to remove spores, and apply EPA-approved fungicides. Contaminated materials are removed and disposed of, and the area is dried to prevent recurrence.

Mold can spread if not cleaned properly, as disturbing moldy areas can release spores into the air. Professionals use containment strategies like plastic sheeting and negative air pressure to prevent this. They also wear protective gear to avoid cross-contamination.

Consider walking away from a house with mold if:

  • The infestation is widespread and involves structural damage.
  • Remediation costs exceed your budget or the home’s value.
  • Health concerns are paramount, and the type of mold is particularly dangerous (e.g., Stachybotrys chartarum).
  • The underlying moisture problems are extensive and not easily fixed.
  • You’re not willing to take on the risk of potential hidden mold issues.

Each situation is unique, so consulting with professionals for a thorough inspection and assessment is recommended before making a decision.